About data access policies
Learn about data access policies
Vault lets you control how sensitive data is accessed using advanced data access policies.
On top of standard role-based-access-controls (RBAC), Vault supports granular policies by taking into account:
- Request context - for example, the reason for accessing the data.
- Data context - for example, the origin of the data.
These policies are a powerful capability, unlocking many privacy and compliance use-cases, for example:
- Allow marketing entities (jobs and roles) to access a customer's email only if they have consented to marketing emails.
- Allow access to personal information for legal reasons only when the legal representative is in the same jurisdiction as the person accessed.
- Allow an engineer to access users' information only when the engineer is on active duty.
Vault provides a powerful identity and access management and advanced data access controls to govern data access.